Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Indiana banana

Seems like every year I post about our pawpaw harvest, I get into the same conversations with my friends. They usually say they've not heard of it, or know the song (I don't know the song) but haven't had the fruit, or think it's a papaya.

our harvest this year
So, here's the write up of the fruit we know as the pawpaw:
 not to be confused with a papaya:
 taken from this really neat book:
 This year, I went to the Kentucky State University site where they had some interesting recipes for pawpaws to try something different. I made this pawpaw meringue pie and it wasn't half bad. Tastes a lot like a banana custard pie (hence one of its nicknames of "Indiana banana").
Have you ever tried pawpaw? If so, do you like them?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams