Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Peach-y keen

I have a special fondness of peaches. Not only do they taste amazing (especially the ones from Pearson Farms in Georgia), but they have a long, symbolic history in Chinese myth and lore (think Quan Yin and the Monkey King!).
 Most years, we don't get enough peaches to have any after the wildlife have had their fill, the danged freeloaders. But this year, we got a bumper crop.
I picked 5 basketfuls on my own. Egg carton placed there for scale.
So pretty, even butterflies want to be near them! Okay, it just wants the juice.
And when you have that many peaches, you spend a lot of time processing
 to come up with pies (I always have to make a pecan pie whenever I whip up pie crusts...I never make just one pie crust either)...
 and canned the rest for later use.
2 solid hours of work for me and hubby just to get 3 lousy quarts of canned peaches. No wonder people just go to the store to buy their food.
We'd also frozen some peaches from this picking. When cold weather comes, I'll make more pies and maybe peach butter.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams